Monday, July 14, 2008

The Sun Also Rises

I hope everyone was expecting this song:



All I can say is wow, and I mean that about everything that has happened. First, when I arrived, I had no idea how to get to my hotel so I took the wrong bus and soon realized I was headed in the opposite direction. It was very frustrating not speaking Spanish, but I eventually found my hotel. I then walked to the part of the city where all the action is, and it was pretty crazy. Pamplona during St. Festin time makes a frat house look like a church. It was cool that everyone was wearing white with red scarves, it was a blood's dreamland. I had to fit in, so I bought a scarf, which I've been wearing ever since.

I walked to the course, sort of a dry run, to see where the good and bad spots were. I found a good one near the beginning where I'd have room to run off to the side. I then headed back to the hotel to get more sleep than most these people get all week. I got up at 6:30 the next morning. You have to be in the course before 7:30 and the bulls are released at 8. I met a couple Americans that I hung out with until 8. They were really nice, both doctors, one from Manhattan Beach, and the other from Orange County. They were actually OBGYNs, so their skills would be sort of useless if I were to get gored. We kinda stuck together and made a plan. As 8 o'clock approached, I started wondering what the heck I was doing there. Then at 8, I heard the shotgun signaling the opening of the corral. At this point, you're supposed to pray to St. Festin. I prayed to him and every other deity I could think of, just to be sure. Then a second firing moments later meant the bulls were on the run.

Now, I know there are tons of people and the likelihood of getting hurt is low, and it might not look that scary on TV. But when you look down the street and see 6 1200 pound bulls with sharp horns charging at you, I don't care how many people there are, it is mortifying. Plus, I learned that on the last day they run the biggest and fastest bulls...great. I had a good vantage point as I was near the end of the first long street. I watched them coming and the people scurrying to the sides. I didn't want to risk much so I started running when they were about 100 feet away. I ran probably 200 feet, into a more open area and slid quickly to the side. The beasts stormed by, but a good 10 feet from where I was standing. These dudes are big, holy smokes, what were we thinking?

After they pass, most people chase after them, so in my adrenaline rush, I followed them down the path and into the bull ring. All the participants then jump around and celebrate in the ring. I thought that was it, so I was just taking in the whole atmosphere when I realized they let another bull loose in the ring. There are no doors either, so you're kinda stuck unless you can climb over the fence. I was like...uh...i don't remember hearing about this part. The bull they let loose is a smaller one, and the tips of its horns are covered in something so it can't gore you. I didn't stay too long though, and soon climbed the fence.

It was an incredible experience and really just cool to be a part of. If anyone wants to go in coming years, I'd be more than happy to accompany you. I read that if you have cameras, you can get kicked out, so I didn't bring mine. I was kind of bummed, because a lot of people had them and they weren't kicked out. The doctors had cameras too, so they took a picture of me and will hopefully email it to me, but I'm relying on their memory of my email address, so we'll see.

Afterwards, I went back to the hotel and took a long nap. I also got tickets to the bullfight, which were rather expensive, but it's just something you have to do. It started at 6:30, but I got there early to watch them set up:


The lighting is bad, but oh well.

They watered down the infield like in baseball, and the last guy off swept away his tracks, like he was coming out of a sandtrap in golf. The crowds were fun and rowdy, it was a great atmosphere. For some reason, I didn't know they actually kill the bull, I guess I just thought they dodged it for awhile, but I was very wrong. I also didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition, so I guess I'm just dumb. It was pretty gruesome, I have video of one killing but won't post it on here.

The concierge at the hotel who got me the tickets was kind enough to explain that I should have a sandwich, because after the 3rd bull is killed, everyone gets out sandwiches and eats them. Sure enough, this was the case and I was prepared. Here are some more pics of the fighting:


This is at the beginning


Note that the matador's hat has been thrown in the ring.


Do I hear swooning from my female readers?

It was just cool being in the arena, it was like Roman times and we were cheering on the gladiator.

I wasn't too sure about Pamplona when I got here, but I couldn't be happier with my decision to come. It would have been more fun with others, but I still had a great time. All I can say is wow to this day, seeing those bulls run up that street at me will be one of those images forever ingrained in my memory, thank you Pamplona.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

How many bulls did they kill? I didn't know they still killed them - I thought it was just a, you know, play or something. And why sandwiches? Is it the 7th inning stretch or something? Those crazy Spaniards.

Anonymous said...

I disagree with the notion that OB-GYNs would have been of no assistance. Had things gone really badly, that might have been exactly what you needed.

Dad

laura said...

I am imagining bulls charging behind me and am almost shrieking myself, so I would certainly not begrudge you a few girlish screams (not that you would utter any...). This is one of the coolest things I have ever heard of someone doing.

Also, I don't know why, but I find the sandwich thing really hilarious.

wanda said...

Well, I'm glad THAT'S over with. Congratulations on getting out of their way at the right time.

Allison said...

Sarah stole my 7th inning stretch comment. For some reason that's hilarious--3rd bull, eat a sandwich. I feel sorry for the chump who can't count and breaks out his sandwich after bull #2.

Glad you're still alive!

Thomanders said...

Not much I can say after your family's comments. Especially your Dad's - that still has my chuckling.

Man, that was an awesome read! I might have to take you up on your offer to return in a few years.

Jeff and Jess said...

So they kill all 6 bulls, the ones that ran in the morning. I'm not sure if it has to be sandwiches, but that's just what everyone had. It was fun, we just put them in our mouths, that's the only way to have sandwiches.

No girlish screams, I did flail my arms wildly though. Oh, and I have a story that proves I wouldn't scream like a girl in the most dire of situations, I'll recount it in person.