Saturday, June 21, 2008

Everywhere like Such As

Ok, so we all remember Miss South Carolina and her stirring call for better geography education in the United States. In the annals of history, I expect it to be alongside Roosevelt's address to congress about Pearl Harbor or Reagan's Tear Down This Wall speech. In case you forgot, here it is:



I grew up in Fremont and went to school with a lot of Asians. I don't think it'd be insensitive to say that Asian children are often very advanced in academics. I think I was fairly bright as a child, yet I was overshadowed by the intelligence of my oriental friends. But I had a secret weapon: Geography. In my fifth grade class we had a challenge to learn all the state capitals. I distinctly remember spending an entire weekend going through our encyclopedias and memorizing the capitals of the US and most of the world (including South Africa and the Iraq).

In class, we had a competition where two students would have their backs to a map. The teacher would call out a capital, and we would turn around and the first person to find it would win. The championship came down to Pannyun Yiu and yours truly. Pannyun was a math whiz, she won all the spelling bees, and per Facebook, graduated from Stanford and got her medical degree from UCSF. Nonetheless, with my knowledge of the exact location of Pierre, South Dakota (basically in the middle), I won the competition.

And so, I throw down the gauntlet at your feet. I've been playing this geography game and believe my score of 619K is untouchable. Well, there's been a lot of people that have beaten it, but no one I know, so here it is. The map is kinda small, but it's really fun if you like geography. If you don't, go try out for the next Miss Teen USA.


brought to you by TravelPod, the Web's First Travel Blog ( Member of the TripAdvisor Media Network ) 


I hope to have only 1, if any, more posts before I leave, as the trip is the point of this blog. Just bear with me for a little longer, and then you can bare with me as I visit European beaches.

1 comment:

mj said...

jeff,
jaimi thomander told us about your site and i have to admit that way too many of the past 24 hours have been spent by ryan and i playing this game. wow. ryan is much better than i am at it...thanks for providing so many hours of entertainment. hope you're having a good time!
...maren and ryan layton