Monday, June 30, 2008

Train-ing Day

Music:


6/30/08 1:29- I love riding trains in German speaking areas because they always wish you a gute fahrt! Why thank you! Yes, I did just turn 27.

I think there are few things in life more enjoyable than passing through the Austrian Alps in first class (zweitzer klasse is für idioten!), listening to one of Mozart's symphonies. I just left Bludenz and will arrive in Salzburg at 5:30, but I'm looking forward to going through Innsbruck and other Austrian towns along the way. This morning I left at 6:30 so I could go to Luzern before continuing on to Zurich. Yes, I know, going to Zurich via Bern is quicker, but I wanted to see Luzern quite badly and I wasn't disappointed. Here are some pics:





I love pain au chocolat, which is basically a chocolate filled croissant, but I found this place that took it one step further: chocolate filled croissants with nuts on top. Wow. I then picked up some lunch for the train ride: fresh bread and appenzeller cheese, an apple, and some Torino chocolate to wash it all down. By the way, I found some Suchard Double Creme at the hostel in Lauterbrunnen, but only one bar. I didn't find any in Geneva, so none will be sent home since I'm only mortal and devoured the Double Creme last night during the EuroCup. Anyways, Luzern was great, very charming.

2:10- I'm obviously listening to a lot of Mozart off my iPod. Listen to the Lacrymosa part of his Requiem. While you listen, think of the major events of your life or of someone important to you:



If you do it without getting choked up or even goosebumps then you have no soul. I think the Requiem, Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber, and Everyday by Carly Comando are the 3 saddest songs I know.

As if my iPod's shuffle is mocking me, I'm now listening to 'Big Girls Dont Cry', well played.

9:30- I'm at a local internet cafe because the wireless doesnt work at the hostel, uggg! Tonight is the first night that I'll be sharing a room with strangers...great. Tomorrow I'll do Dad's tour of Salzburg but probably won't write about it until Vienna, we'll see.

3 comments:

Nick and Marianne said...

I must be the first one to view the latest post because I had just read Incredible Fahrt and then refreshed the page and found the Training Day post. To think, you were actually in the process of posting while I was reading...wow. Sounds like you're having a great time. I think I'll either have you plan my european vacation, or just do all the same things you've done. You're way better at researching things than I am. Anyway, keep it coming.

Anonymous said...

Jeff, I forgot to mention one other place you ought to see in Salzburg. Very close to the cathedral (Dom), and you can get there by walking only a few hundred yards, at most, in the direction the Dom is facing, is Stiftskeller St. Peter. It's a restaurant whose records date back to the 800's, and no, I didn't drop the "1". Charlemagne supposedly dined there, among other notables. It includes a courtyard dining area as well as interior dining halls. It's probably too pricey, but it's worth looking at.

And the house sale finally closed today, so my debt burden just dropped by 70%. Go in to the Stiftskeller St. Peter courtyard and order a "Viertel liter Obi auf einen halben gespritzt" on me. That's pronounced "FEAR-tel Liter O-bee owf EYE-nen HALL-ben guh-SHPRITZT." It's apple cider mixed with mineral water, and was the beverage of choice for us missionaries.

Glad you survived canyoning.

Dad

Jeff and Jess said...

OH MY GOSH- I forgot to upload/post the picture of me in Liechtenstein!! Oh well, I got out of the train and took a picture. The stop was maybe 20 seconds, not 3 minutes, so fortunately I didnt take long.

Dad- If Charlemagne ate there, I will eat there, that's just how I roll.