Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Genesis

There are so many ways to start this blog, from "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." or "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a [European trip]" or perhaps "A few miles north of Soledad…" (all applicable on many different levels). In any case, here it is, the long-awaited* blog of Jeff. I was originally hoping that this blog would contain pictures of my kids and cute little stories about their bodily functions, but hey, I was also hoping that bastard Brad Womack from The Bachelor would have asked DeAnna to marry him but we all know how that ended!!! Sorry, I got carried away there for a second. So, here I am, no kids and a little money that I could either invest responsibly or blow on a trip to Europe. Contrary to what many would think, I am choosing the latter, and here you will find the result.

Given the fact that I don't drink, solicit prostitutes, or enjoy streaking (at least not often), my trip might not be that interesting (did I mention I'm an accountant?). This is then compounded by the fact that I'll be traveling alone. Now, some of you may be thinking as you read this, "Wow, alone?? What a loser!!" or maybe "Why would I ever read about a guy traveling by himself in Europe" or perhaps "Man, this guys is really really ridiculously good looking*", but to all of you I say…Well yes, you're right (especially those in group 3), but let's face it, you're bored at work or the kids are napping and no one else has updated their blog so you're stuck here. Plus, I'm sure people made fun of Thoreau when he went to live by himself, but who's laughing now??? I'd like to think of this blog as my own "Walden", and perhaps in a hundred years, high school students will be required to read this blog and forced to write some report on it (and they'll subsequently, as this author can attest, forget everything except the title), we can only hope.

As with most hip things, I have come to the blogging world quite late. I just barely got a Facebook account and didn't have a cell phone until I was 21 (I thought they'd be a fad…who knew?!?!) So here I am at a pivotal time in my life and on the cusp of a journey across Europe.

First things first, a little introduction: Although I imagine the only ones reading this will be my mom, a couple sisters, and those poor souls who google "pasty white skinny guys", I will tell you about myself, since this is my blog and my rules. I was born in Hayward and raised in Fremont, CA. I have 4 sisters, 1 brother, and currently live in Mountain View, CA. I served an LDS mission to Geneva, Switzerland, which will serve as the launching site of this trip. I graduated summa cum ignominious from BYU in Accounting, yet still got a job with PricewaterhouseCoopers in San Jose.

I can't imagine there are many people out there that get equally excited for a Tupac song as a Tchaikovsky piano concerto. Or watch college football religiously yet enjoy Gossip Girl, which I suppose is just as vicious. Someone who can play a Chopin Nocturne on the piano, and hit a grand slam in his city's softball league. Yes, I suppose I'd like to think of myself as somewhat of a renaissance man, minus the homosexuality.

A couple more interesting facts about me: I love the world, and not in some greeny tree hugger way, or philanthropic/Bono way, but in the geography/maps/scenery way. I know almost every capital of the world, including Srinagar (capital of Kashmir, as I have officially recognized them as a country now, I'm trying to get ahead of the game on this one). I love traveling anywhere and imagining the historical events that occurred there. Whether it be the beaches of Normandy, the Forum in Rome, or the BART station in Union City, I love to feel the history of those places. So that is why I can do this trip alone, my imagination will keep me company. Side note on that, I've always thought the difference between a crazy and a normal person is the crazy one verbalizes their thoughts…discuss.

I was living in France when the Euros (currency, not people) were first distributed. My mission companion and I got to the bank very early on the day they were released. There were a lot of people there, eager to get their first bag of Euros. Although we were not at the front of the line (I hope you enjoyed that unnecessarily long shower Elder Collins!), we were still towards the front and got our bags quickly. I noticed the vast majority of people wouldn't even break the seal as it would be a collector's item someday. Those who did just poked around at the coins cautiously, like they were some sort of mystical treasure. As soon as I got mine it hit me, "I will buy as many Euros as possible as I predict the dollar will eventually drop dramatically due to trade deficits and other economic factors!!!" Oh no wait, that's what would have happened to an inspired missionary, my reaction was, "I will be the first person to win a coin toss with a Euro!" And so, my companion and I squared off, first designating what the heads would be (the side with the number), and the result was a Jeff win. Although I have no certificate, I believe I'm the first winner of a coin toss with a Euro, as I can't imagine that was the first thought of any other European at 8 in the morning, but this is debatable (editor's note: actually it's not).

Never one to limit my resume's bullet points, I quickly thought of another first. As we headed back to the apartment with our booty (I can't believe it's taken me even this long to use that word in my blog), I saw a homeless man playing some sort of self constructed stringed instrument in the metro station (say that 10 times, fast). I reached into my bag and dropped a Euro into his hat. He was rather perplexed by the odd looking coinage, but I think it was a slow morning for him, so he'd take anything. Thusly, I'm also the first person to give a Euro to a bum, as I highly doubt anyone else did the same, since most would not even open their bag, and come on, they're French.

To get back to the point of this blog, I will be leaving for Europe on the 26th of June. I'll post the itinerary in a few days, and would love to get feedback on things to do in the cities. I'll have all the logistics planned to the minute, but the daily activities will be open to your help, so please let me know, even if you stumbled upon this blog and don't know me. Also, if you want a souvenir, let me know, although this does require knowing me (but not in the biblical sense).

Ok, so this is starting to get a bit long and in order not scare my sparse readers away, I will end. And for those of you looking for the skinny pasty white guy, enjoy:






*Author reserves the right to take liberties with others' opinions of him and his blog, they may or may not be factual.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

we will follow your travels with bated breath. you're welcome to bring back any and all forms of chocolate for us.

Allison said...

Sounds like fun! How many Amazing Race references will you be able to fit in?

As far as suggestions, I'm pretty useless, unless you decide to expand your travels to include the Middle East. Even if you want to avoid Jerusalem, I absolutely loved Jordan (you could go to Petra) and Egypt would just be cool. You could see the pyramids, go the Egyptian Museum where they tell you all the things they once had, then fly up to London and see aforementioned things in the British Museum.

PaloAltoCougar said...

A very strong opening post. And my pleasure at reading it was enhanced by Sarah's correct spelling of "bated." I shall subscribe to your newsletter. Dad

laura said...

So do you think Serena and Nate are totally going to hook up over the summer?

Ahem. Anyway, I'm excited for your blog... if you're going anywhere in the UK, I'll start brainstorming the best sites. And I agree with Sarah - chocolate is always an appropriate souvenir.

Becca said...

Hahahahaha yay!! At first I was a little concerned about you being alone because I could never do it, but then again Europe is full of lone travelers...and you inspire me to be alone and independent! I'm excited to hear some more...but sad because I'm guessing you won't be in town when me and Laura come home on JUly 8th-12th?

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff... I'm Laura's friend, and I've actually met you before. She told me about your blog, and having been a backpacker through Europe myself I thought I'd subscribe. I'm so far very entertained. Also, my husband served in Geneva, but not until 2003. Just thought I would lay some more common ground so that if I decide to comment again, you won't be too creeped out.