Thursday, June 12, 2008

Exodus

Ok, I promise not all my titles will be books from the Bible, but so far they've been fitting. Exactly two weeks from now, I'll be learning how to fasten my seatbelt on Air France flight 83 with nonstop service to Paris. From there, I will catch a connecting flight to Geneva, arriving at about 1 pm local time. I've designed this trip in order to go places I've never been. I loved Italy and England, and I know there are plenty of places in those countries that I could still discover, but I wanted to mix it up a little more than that. Concerning the Middle East, Allison…intriguing but I think I'd like to go there with a friend so if there's an attempted kidnapping, I have someone to outrun.

So here it is:

June 27th- Arrive in Geneva, eat Burger King by the lake (sentimental value in this) Take afternoon train to Murren:



June 28th- Murren
June 29th- Murren (find place to watch Eurocup finale with locals)
June 30th- Train to Salzburg. This will be long but I'm excited as it goes through the Swiss and Austrian alps (with a stop in Innsbruck) and the train has extended windows over the roof for better viewing.
July 1- Salzburg (staying at a hostel that shows Sound of Music everyday at 10:30am)
July 2- Train to Vienna
July 3- Vienna
July 4- Train to Budapest (I'll only have an afternoon and evening here, but it's jam packed with a city tour, statue park where old communist relics were dumped, and a Danube river cruise at night while listening to classical music)



July 5- Train to Prague
July 6- Prague
July 7- Train to Berlin
July 8- Berlin
July 9- Train to Amsterdam
July 10- Amsterdam (I'm staying at a dive here by the red light district, should be interesting)
July 11- Train to Paris (Will do the Friday night rollerblading through Paris with thousands of others)
July 12- Paris
July 13- Train to Pamplona
July 14- Pamplona (Running of the Bulls, will buy white pants and red scarf the day before, that'll be me with the big hair:)



July 15- Train to Barcelona
July 16- Barcelona
July 17-Train to Granada
July 18- Granada (One of the places I'm most excited for)



July 19- Train to Madrid
July 20- Madrid
July 21- Madrid/Segovia (google it, looks like a really cool town):




July 22- Flight to SFO

So it seems like half my time will be spent in a train, and indeed half my days will consist of some time in a train, but most of the rides are less than 4 hours, so it's really just the morning. Plus, I love taking trains and looking out the window. I know I've been to Paris before, but I had to stop by there for the rollerblading. Each Friday night, 10-15K people meet at the Montparnasse train station and rollerblade around the city. I'm very excited to do this, and there's a possibility they'll let us go down the Champs-Elysees, which happens every few months. Also, I need to get a Kebab and speak some French, so voila.

I know these are places that most of you haven't been to, but when I ask for suggestions, that doesn't necessarily mean you've done it and want me to try it. It could also mean something you would like to vicariously do through me.

I've always enjoyed using the following line when talking to people, "Oh, that reminds me of the time I was [verb]ing in [place]." So, if you can think of a cool activity, let me know. Something like, "Oh, that reminds of the time I was eating at this cafe in Prague..." Not bad eh?

8 comments:

PaloAltoCougar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PaloAltoCougar said...

OK, let's try this again.... Let me know where your Salzburg and Vienna hotels/hostels/flophouses are located and I'll give you a list of things to see along with directions, including my beloved Sound of Music Tour.

laura said...

Hey, I think I stayed at that hostel in Salzburg! Although, to be fair, it's entirely possible that there's more than one hostel there that shows the Sound of Music. Does yours have a view of the Festung?

Ahhh, the Sound of Music tour. Campy fun!

Jeff and Jess said...

Here's the Salzburg Hostel:

Yoho International Youth Hostel Salzburg
Paracelsusstr. 9
A 5020 Salzburg
Salzburg

And the Vienna one:

Hostel Ruthensteiner
Robert Hamerling Gasse 24
1150 Vienna
Vienna

Sarah said...

is that the alhambra? that would be sweet. i'll think about other places.

Nancy said...

Jeff - I'm enjoying your travel blog already - and you haven't even left the country yet! You might consider shifting your title themes from the Bible to greek legend. I see your journey as not unlike that of Odysseus after the Trojan war. I expect it to be epic in scale and importance. But seriously, I'm looking forward to traveling with you vicariously - it will have to hold me till I take my own solo trip to France in late September.

Margo said...

Jeff, I was one of Sarahs many crazy roommates from college, I am the tall one from Ohio. She told us we would enjoy your blog. I am so excited for your trip. I served in Frankfurt and would love to take a trip to Europe. My family came to pick me up at the end of my mission and we took the Sound of Music tour. It was totally hilarious and we loved every minute of it. If you are going to make any other stops around Frankfurt, let me know and I could give you some ideas. Have so much fun.

Jeff and Jess said...

Hi Margo,

I do indeed remember you, but probably wouldn't if you weren't tall. :) Unfortunately I won't have time to go by Frankfurt since I need to get to Pamplona by the 14th. I hope to return someday and go up the Rhine and see more of Germany, as that seems like a very cool area.